Sunday, April 2, 2017

On the Road Again

I've had the good fortune of being able to live and work in many different places.  I use the term "good fortune" loosely.  Sometimes we've felt a bit nomadic and my children will look at you a bit confused if you ever ask them where they are from.  Oh sure, we've meant to put down roots and really establish ourselves in one place, but there is always something that pushes us out of our comfort zone and on to something new.  I'm usually the cause of that discomfort, but I've found that once we set upon the path I have several willing accomplices.  I call them my reluctant explorers. 

It's sort of like pushing a single rock down a steep rocky slope.  As it goes it dislodges other rocks and soon there is an alarming cascade of tumbling boulders happily descending the grade.  That's pretty much what I feel like, never knowing exactly what I'll be getting myself into but too curious not to do it.  I wouldn't change a thing!

I can't say that it's always been easy.  We've said good bye to so many friends and beloved places.  Every time we move to a new place we proclaim with Brother Brigham, "This is the place!" and proceed to establish our home for the long term.  But putting down roots for us has been different.  We're not like a big oak tree that sends down one big root system and lodges firmly in one spot.  There is an aspen grove in Utah that is believed to be the largest living organism on earth.  It consists of tens of thousands of trees and covers many acres of land but it is all one root system.  We're more like that.  We call a lot of places home and thanks to modern communication we can maintain friendships and carry on life in all of those places.  So yeah, we're like a big aspen grove.  Sounds sort of like a Lord of the Rings thing.  If there is ever an epic battle with hybrid orc-goblins, we will be there to annihilate them!

So I guess it has been good fortune, even if it's been difficult at times.  Life is a great adventure and now it's time to take to the road again, but this time we're headed to familiar territory.  After so many new places it almost seems anticlimactic to go back to the place where everything started.  But just as we have been learning and growing and changing so have all of the places we've left behind.  They're not the same and neither are we.  And so the adventure goes on.  Packing up, leaving friends and starting new are still not easy.  There are no guarantees in life and I don't believe in destiny so who knows if this is where we finally stop the wagon train or if there are other locations in our future?  I would have never dreamed my life would take me where it has so I can't imagine what lies ahead.  But I'm going with my reluctant explorers to see what happens next!

No comments: